So, I have never heard of Lymphatic Drainage Massage Therapy (Manual Lymphatic Drainage – MLD) …
The style/type of manual lymphatic drainage or manual lymphatic massage that is used at Lymph O Edema Canada is based on Dr. Vodder. This style, considered to be the original method of lymphatic drainage massage (also known as manual lymph drainage or MLD) was developed by Dr. Emil Vodder and his wife in the 1930s, in Europe. This type of manual therapy is very popular in Europe. There are also other types or styles of lymphatic drainage such as Chikly, Casey-Smith, Godoy-Godoy Method.
We are certified lymphatic therapists (CLT), with skills in manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) and complete decongestive therapy (CDT), but are not RMT’s. The Vodder style of MLD does not use oils and is typically done directly on the skin. The movements are sequenced, rhythmical, gentle, and intentional for the lymphatic region(s) being treated.
“Manual Lymphatic Drainage” massage sounds scary. Will there be tubes attached to me?
Yes, the name is rather off-putting which is why we usually refer to it as lymphatic therapy massage. Don’t let the name scare you. There are no tubes which are attached to you. It is not like a colonic (colon hydrotherapy) at all. There will not be draining anything onto the table or through tubes while you are on the therapy table. Once again, there are no fluids that are going to be seeping out of you while you have the treatment. We just ask you to relax and breath.
Oh yeah, some people may need to go to the washroom right after the session (and this can continue into the evening). This is a good sign, as it means you are releasing toxins.
(Note: If at any time you need to run to the bathroom in the middle of the session, please just let us know as we don’t want you to feel uncomfortable having to “hold it”.)
Ok, I Now Know More … So What Should I Expect From A MLD Session?
- For best results, direct skin contact for treatment is best, however, your comfort level is important. If you choose to remain fully dressed, try to wear an open neck shirt and loose comfortable clothing. You will be draped at all times for warmth and modesty.
- No lotions or oils are used during this session, so stickiness during redressing after the session is not a concern.
- Communicate with your practitioner if you are at all uncomfortable during the session.
- Breathing with deep, slow belly breaths will aid the stimulation of the relaxation response and the lymphatic system.
- Initial session will last about 30 minutes. Later, full sessions can run up to 1½ hours depending on treatment area and health condition.
Ready to book your sessions? For best results, we recommend a minimum of 6 sessions as we will be helping to make a body system become more efficient in its work to maintain and improve health. Contact us to set up your appointments.